Welcome to Indiana State University!
Congratulations on your admission to Indiana State University. Part of becoming a Sycamore is to attend New Student Orientation. Orientation provides students with information on campus resources, introduces them to current students, their academic advisor, and serves as the method to scheduling classes for the first semester. All new freshmen and transfer (domestic and international) students are required to attend Orientation. A fee will be assessed on the student’s first e-bill. Students enrolled in any online-only major or program do not have to attend orientation. See details on this.
Freshman New Student Orientation
Freshman New Student Orientation is a program specifically for students entering college for the first time. Students will gain a basic understanding about the university and their academic major, get their student ID, and register for their first semester coursework.
To register for New Student Orientation, please call the Office of Admissions, toll-free at 1-800-GO-TO-ISU or 812-237-2121, or email email@example.com.
All students will be assessed a fee on their first e-bill for New Student Orientation.
Transfer New Student Orientation
Transfer New Student Orientation is a half-day program specifically for students who are new to Indiana State University but have some experience and previous coursework at a community college or other four-year institution. Students with college credits attained while in high school are considered first-year (freshman) students.. Families and guests of students are encouraged to attend but not required.
Reservations for Spring 2015 admits will be available in September.
All new transfer students who are not in an online/distance program of study will be assessed an orientation fee of $45 on their first e-bill.
Register for New Student Orientation
Students must log-in and register for a date. To register for Orientation, follow these three easy steps (you will leave this page, and must return to complete registration):
Activate your Sycamore Login (isuportal.indstate.edu):
- Your 991 (Student ID Number) can be found on your letter of admission from the Office of Admissions or your invitation to New Student Orientation.
- Note the detailed requirements when choosing your password.
- Once your login is activated, it will show you what your username is. Keep both your username and password in a safe place. You will use this often throughout college. Usernames are typically the first letter of your first name, with your last name, and possibly a digit.
- Register for New Student Orientation using your new Sycamore Login and password:
- PLEASE NOTE: If you have a conflict with the orientation date offered, please call 1-800-GO-TO-ISU.
- Click here to register »
- Be sure to click “Submit” at the end to make sure your spot is saved. Confirmation and reminder emails will be sent to your new Sycamore Email Account
- Check your Sycamore Email that can be accessed at isuportal.indstate.edu.
If you’re having difficulty registering for orientation, please call the Office of Admissions, toll-free at 1-800-GO-TO-ISU or 812-237-2121, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
International New Student Orientation
Undergraduate International Students are required to attend orientation. Read below and follow instructions to register for the event.
Graduate students should contact their academic department regarding orientation.
Undergraduate International students who do not attend orientation will not be allowed to register for classes and will have to start classes the following semester.
FALL 2014 ADMITS
- Arrive On-campus, Sunday, August 10, 2014
- International Student Check-In, Monday, August 11, 2014
- Arrive at 9 am EDT
- Hulman Memorial Student Union
- International Student Orientation (Undergraduates Only), Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - Wednesday, August 13, 2014
- Students MUST register for this event before attending. Please see below to register.
- Orientation check-in begins at 8:30am EDT. All sessions are mandatory. If you arrive late or leave the program, you will not be academically advised, and will be sent home.
- Classes begin August 20, 2014
- Immigration Seminar, Monday, August 18, 2014
- 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Dede III
TO REGISTER FOR ORIENTATION (REQUIRED):
- Students must activate their MyISU Portal prior to registering for International Advising and Registration. Visit here to activate your Portal.
- Once you have activated your portal, use your Sycamore ID and password to login here and register for orientation.
Bring your I-20, Passport, Visa and I-94 to all events.
Please check your Sycamore email account for email updates. Questions about each orientation session can be referred to email@example.com or 812-237-2440.
The purpose of International Student Orientation is to provide new students with valuable information that will help them adjust to studying and living in the U.S. and the opportunity to get to know other students and ISU staff. Attendance at this program is required.
In addition, an Immigration Seminar is required for all international students. Topics included in orientation and the immigration seminar are important immigration regulations, housing and dining services, health care, banking, transportation, student employment, safety, community engagement and student activities and organizations. New students also have the chance to meet returning students as well as representatives from various international student organizations during orientation.
Online New Student Orientation
If you are completing a degree program in all on-line (distance) classes, you are not required to attend an on-campus orientation program. There is no orientation fee for distance students, for this reason.
Distance learners are encouraged to view Indiana State University’s virtual tour.
Also, once students have activated their Sycamore Login on MyISU, they will have access to Blackboard. There is an orientation to Blackboard available within the site. This will help students become more comfortable with using Blackboard before the semester begins.
To Activate your Sycamore Login (Student Portal): https://isuportal.indstate.edu/
- Your 991 (Student ID Number) can be found on your Letter of Acceptance from the Office of Admissions or your invitation to New Student Orientation
- Note the detailed requirements when choosing your password
- Once your Login is activated, it will show you what your username is. Keep both your username and password in a safe place. You will use this often throughout college. Usernames are typically the first letter of your first name, with your last name, and possibly a digit. For example, Sycamore Sam's Sycamore Login may be ssam17. Sam's full email address would be firstname.lastname@example.org
To access Blackboard, please visit: https://blackboard.indstate.edu/webapps/login/
For more information on distance education, please visit www.indstate.edu/distance
This page is for faculty and staff at Indiana State University. If you have questions, please contact the Office of New Student Transition Programs at 1-800-GO-TO-ISU or email Tracy Osborne at Tracy.Osborne@indstate.edu.