You are here
Stalker Hall - A History
In 1905 a third new building was built at Indiana State Normal School. It was the Model Training School building and it housed the Department of Education. It was located on the south east corner of the main Normal School building. The three story building contained a gymnasium for the children, and four large rooms to be used by the Department of Manual Training. The upper stories were used exclusively by the training school and consisted of 8 large school rooms, one for each grade, an auditorium, faculty rooms, and the principal’s office. As the college grew, a new larger training or laboratory school was built. When the old building was vacated the college reorganized classes and it became the home of the Departments of Education and Social Studies. The building was renamed to Stalker Hall in tribute to the memory of Francis M. Stalker, a member and head of the Department of Education for 37 years.
The current building, after an extensive rennovation, was rededicated on September 23, 2005.